UNCASVILLE, Conn. — Boston College fell, 76-67, to No. 3 Villanova in the opening game of the 2K Empire Classic, held at Mohegan Sun Arena as part of its Bubbleville setup for college basketball.
The Eagles will take on Rhode Island in the final game of the tournament tomorrow at 7 p.m. on ESPN.
The teams were tied at 34 going into halftime before BC grabbed the momentum early in the second half.
A 3-pointer from grad transfer Rich Kelly capped an 8-0 run that gave BC a 49-41 lead, and a 3-pointer by Ashton-Langford extended that to 57-48 with 13 minutes left.
But the Wildcats responded by going on an 11-1 run.
A jumper by Nova’s Collin Gillespie put them back on top 59-58 and Villanova took the lead for good at 63-61 on a hook shot by Justin Moore with just over six minutes left.
Villanova outscored Boston College 6-1 over the final three minutes to seal it. BC went the final four minutes without a field goal.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Jay Heath was 7-of-14 on the night, including 5-of-6 inside the arc. He added five boards and two assists.
- Makai Ashton-Langford made 6-of-11 shots (2-5 3FG) to go with six boards, three assists, and a steal.
- Wynston Tabbs was the third BC player in double figures, with 11 points – all in the second half. Tabbs returned to the court for BC after missing 676 days due to injury.
- Steffon Mitchell posted his 34th career game with 10+ rebounds, finishing with a game-high 12 boards. He added three points, two steals, and four blocked shots.
- Grad transfers Rich Kelly and Frederick Scott made an impact in their first game with the Eagles.
- Kelly had nine points and two assists while Scott added six points.
- BC finished the game connecting on 47.3% (26-55) from the floor and 30.8% (8-26) from beyond the arc. The Eagles made 7-of-11 free throws.
STAT OF THE GAME:
- 15 – Boston College’s bench outscored Villanova’s reserves, 15-8.
FOR THE ANALYTICS CROWD:
- Makai Ashton-Langford posted a team-best efficiency rating of 18. Two others – Jay Heath and Steffon Mitchell – logged a 17 EFF, while CJ Felder posted a 16.
- Efficiency rating is calculated using the following formula: (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK – Missed Shots – TO)
- Boston College takes on Rhode Island in the second and final day of play in the 2K Empire Classic.
- The game is set to tip-off at 7 p.m. and can be seen on ESPN.
- The game will be broadcast live on the Boston College Learfield IMG College Sports Network with Josh Maurer on WEEI 850 AM.
- Radio Shows2021.01.17Eagles Fall 80-70 at Notre Dame. Steffon Mitchell logs a double-double
- ACC2021.01.142021 ACC Schedule Set for BC Baseball. Non-Conference Slate TBD
- ACC2021.01.13Boston College MBB: Eagles Drain 18 3-Pointers in 84-62 Win over Miami
- ACC2021.01.12Boston College Eagles Look to Bounce Back Tuesday vs. Miami