Featured image courtesy of BC Communications
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – The Boston College baseball team started the 2018 season with a victory, topping Santa Clara, 5-1, at Stephen Schott Stadium on Friday night.
The Eagles (1-0) started the game with a run in the first and scored in the second, third and sixth to earn the win over the Broncos (0-1). Senior Jake Palomaki led the squad with a 3-for-5 night, driving in three in the lead-off spot and launching BC’s first home run of the season.
Junior right-hander Jacob Stevens three five scoreless innings, striking out eight. He allowed just four hits and one walk on the night. The BC pitching staff picked up right where he left off, allowing just an unearned run on the night. The bullpen did not walk a batter, gave up just two hits and struck out four over four innings.
Score: Boston College 5, Santa Clara 1
Records: Boston College (1-0) at Santa Clara (0-1)
Series: BC leads the series, 1-0
Location: Stephen Scott Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.
- Stevens threw five scoreless innings in his first outing of the season, allowing just four hits. He walked just one batter and struck out eight. The Broncos could only advance two runners to second against the righty.
- Senior Jake Palomaki led the Eagles with a 3-for-5 night with three RBIs and the first BC home run of the season. It was the fifth career dinger for the switch hitter.
- Junior Gian Martellini was 2-for-3 with one run and one walk while sophomore Jacob Yish recorded an RBI on a sacrifice fly.
- Relievers juniors RHP Sean Hughes and LHP Zach Stromberg and senior LHP Carmen Giampetruzzi combined to allowed just two hits, one unearned run and four Ks over four innings.
- The Eagles scored in the first and did not look back, adding two in the second and one in the third to take a four-run lead that Santa Clara could not overcome.
- The BC pitching staff was dominant, allowing just one unearned run and one walk while striking out 12 strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Eagles scored a run in the first to take an early, 1-0 lead. Sophomore Dante Baldelli earned a one-out walk, moved to second on single by Martellini and to third on a groundout by junior Jake Alu. He scored on a wild pitch to open the ball game.
- Palomaki gave the Eagles a three-run lead with a home run in the second. With one down, sophomore Brian Dempsey singled to right and with two outs, Palomaki blasted one over the left-field fence for his first homer of the season.
- BC added a run in the fourth as Martellini led off with an infield hit to third and Alu followed with a base hit to right to put runners on the corners. YISH drove in Martellini with a sac fly to center.
- Palomaki racked up his third RBI of the night with a two-out, bunt single in the sixth. New pitcher RHP Michael Praszker walked back-to-back Eagles and both moved into scoring position with a double steal. With two down, Palomaki knocked a bunt between Praszker and the first baseman to score a runner.
- The Broncos got on the board on an unearned run in the bottom of the inning with junior RHP Sean Hughes on the mound. With the bases loaded on a single and two hit batsmen, Jake MacNichols hit a two-out grounder to third. Senior Anthony Maselli fielded it but his throw bounced to first, allowing a run in. Hughes ended the inning with a strikeout swinging.
The Eagles and Broncos return for a 4 p.m. (EST) game on Saturday. It can be seen here.