Score: Boston College 2, NC State 1
Records: NC State (20-19, 8-12 ACC) at Boston College (14-22, 5-15 ACC)
Location: Fenway Park in Boston, Mass.
Series: BC clinches the series, 2-0
- Sophomore left-handed starter Dan Metzdorf threw a career-high eight innings and allowed just one run, three hits and one walk. He struck out three and struck out the final seven batters he faced.
- Junior RHP Donovan Casey earned his fourth save of the season, throwing the ninth and retiring the side in order. In the final at bat, he battled for 12 pitches, finally getting the strikeout to end the game.
- Sophomore Gian Martellini recorded his third game-winning RBI, ripping a double in the eighth.
- Freshman Jacob Yish extended his career-long hit streak to four games. He has a hit in eight of the last 11 played.
- Sophomore Jake Alu was 1-for-3 with a run scored. He has at least one hit in the last six games.
- With the game tied at one in the eighth and junior Jake Palomaki on third, Martellini doubled down the left-field line to score the go-ahead run.
- Casey threw a 123 ninth to close out the game for the Eagles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Eagles scored one in the second on a safety squeeze. Alu and Yish tallied back-to-back, one-out singles to put runners on the corners with senior Johnny Adams laid a bunt down the first-base line. Alu beat the throw to the plate to put the Eagles on the board.
- The Pack tied the game in the fifth. A double and single put runners on the corners and with one down, Brock Deatherage hit a sacrifice fly to center to plate State’s first run of the game. Senior centerfielder Michael Strem‘s throw to the plate was close, but not in time. Metzdorf got a grounder back to the mound to end the inning.
- Palomaki started the eighth with a single through the left side and Strem moved him to second on a sac bunt. He landed on third after a passed ball and Martellini drove him in with a double just fair down the third-base line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Eagles won their second Atlantic Coast Conference series after taking two of three from Duke in Durham last weekend.
- Adams plated Alu with a safety squeeze, his 22nd career sacrifice hit, which is fifth in BC record books.
- Freshman Brian Dempsey extended his hit streak to a career-long four games as well.
- Strem tallied his 56th career double, which is second all-time at Boston College.
- The Eagles did not record an error for the 14th time this season and third straight game.