BRIGHTON, Mass. – No. 21 Boston College baseball dropped its series opener to visiting Notre Dame, 5-1, at the Harrington Athletics Village on Thursday evening. The loss moved the Eagles to 32-17 overall and evened their ACC record at 14-14, while the Fighting Irish pushed past BC in the ACC standings at 30-20 and 15-13.
After the two sides traded a run in the first inning, Notre Dame scored four unanswered runs between the fourth and seventh innings. Leadoff-hitting, center fielder TJ Williams sparked the Irish lineup with a 2-for-2 night with two runs and a walk. ND totaled five doubles in the game, including one by catcher Vinny Martinez, who went 2-for-4.
Tied 1-1 in the third, the Eagles threatened with two aboard and nobody out, but did not move the runners as Irish lefty Aidan Tyrell escaped the jam. Tyrell (8-2) went six innings in the win with one run on six hits and a walk to go with six strikeouts.
For Boston College, graduate right-hander Henry Leake (Burbank, Calif.) surrendered three runs on seven hits and a walk with just one strikeout in 4.2 innings of work.
Score: Notre Dame 5, No. 21 Boston College 1
Records: Notre Dame 30-20, 15-13 ACC; Boston College 32-17, 14-14 ACC
Stadium: Harrington Athletics Village
· Vetrano hit his 10th double of the season and 20th of his career.
· Vetrano posted his 16th multi-hit game of the season and 35th of his career.
· Walsh recorded his 14th multi-hit game of the season and 24th of his career.
The two sides will wrap up the series with a day-night doubleheader played at two sites beginning with game one on campus at 1 p.m. The 11th Annual ALS Awareness Game then takes place from Fenway Park at 7 p.m. on ACC Network.
- ACCSeptember 28, 2023Short But Blistering History Leads BC To Virginia
- ACCSeptember 24, 2023Boston College Drops ACC Road Opener at Louisville
- ACCSeptember 17, 2023Eagles Edged by #3/3 Florida State 31-29 in 10th Red Bandanna Game
- ACCAugust 14, 2023Boston College Football: Preseason Notes Practice No. 10