BRIGHTON, Mass. – No. 11 Boston College baseball surrendered four solo home runs to Duke in a 6-4 loss in front of 1,232 at the Harrington Athletics Village on Friday evening. The loss dropped the BC Eagles to 23-10 overall and evened their record at 8-8 in the ACC, while the Blue Devils improved to 22-11 and 8-7.
Duke scored in the first and hit its first home run of the game in the third to take an early 3-0 lead. BC rallied for four runs in the fourth to take a brief lead. The Blue Devils immediately tied the game in the fifth on a solo home run by second baseman Jay Beshears. An inning later, Duke went back in front on a solo home run by first baseman MJ Metz.
Neither starting pitcher factored into the decision as BC graduate right-hander Henry Leake (Burbank, Calif.) went five innings and allowed four runs on seven hits and two walks with seven strikeouts. Duke RHP Jason White allowed just one run on two hits with two strikeouts in a 3.1-inning start.
Despite surrendering a three-run lead, RHP Charlie Beilenson (2-1) got the win with three runs, all unearned, charged to his line in 1.2 innings on five hits. Sophomore RHP Eric Schroeder (Ridgewood, N.J.) took the loss for the Eagles. Schroeder (4-2) gave up a pair of solo home runs in a 2.1-inning appearance.
Score: Duke 6, No. 11 Boston College 4
Records: Duke 22-11, 8-7 ACC; Boston College 23-10, 8-8 ACC
Stadium: Harrington Athletics Village
· Roche singled in the fifth to extend his reached base-streak to 22 games.
· Vetrano recorded his 10th multi-hit game of the season and 29th of his career.
· Walsh stole his ninth base of the season and 18th of his career.
Game two is set for 2 p.m. on Saturday with graduate RHP Chris Flynn (Naugatuck, Conn.) on the mound for Boston College.
- ACCSeptember 28, 2023Short But Blistering History Leads BC To Virginia
- ACCSeptember 24, 2023Boston College Drops ACC Road Opener at Louisville
- ACCSeptember 17, 2023Eagles Edged by #3/3 Florida State 31-29 in 10th Red Bandanna Game
- ACCAugust 14, 2023Boston College Football: Preseason Notes Practice No. 10