BRIGHTON, Mass. – No. 17 Boston College baseball opened its weekend series with a 4-1 win over No. 24 North Carolina State at the Harrington Athletics Village on Friday evening. The Eagles improved to 16-4 overall and 5-2 in the ACC; both bests in program history.
Junior right fielder Travis Honeyman (Massapequa, N.Y.) powered the BC lineup with a three-run home run in the third inning and went 2-for-4 on the day with a double.
Graduate right-hander Henry Leake (Burbank, Calif.) returned to the rotation and turned in six innings of one-run ball. Leake (3-1) allowed one run on three hits and two walks with four strikeouts.
The Eagles turned the game over to the bullpen for the seventh. Junior RHP Joey Ryan (Norwood, Mass.) pitched around a leadoff-error in the seventh, and graduate RHP Andrew Roman (Monson, Mass.) got out of a bases-loaded, one-out jam in the ninth with back-to-back strikeouts to earn his fourth save.
For NC State (16-6, 2-5 ACC), righty Logan Whitaker (2-2) went 6.2 innings and allowed four runs on five hits and two walks with five strikeouts. Catcher Jacob Cozart went 3-for-4 with a run.
Score: No. 17 Boston College 4, No. 24 North Carolina State 1
Records: Boston College 16-4, 5-2 ACC; North Carolina State 16-6, 2-5 ACC
Stadium: Harrington Athletics Village
· Honeyman broke a scoreless tie in the third with a three-run home run to left.
· Roche hit a leadoff double in the fourth and scored on a two-out single by Burns.
· With the tying run at the plate in the sixth, Leake ended his outing with a 6-4-3 double play.
· The Wolfpack loaded the bases with one out in the ninth and Roman struck out the next two batters to end the game.
· Honeyman hit his second home run of the season and eighth of his career.
· Honeyman hit his eighth double of the season and 17th of his career.
· Honeyman recorded his ninth multi-hit game of the season and 26th of his career.
· Leake pitched a season-high six innings; the fourth start by an Eagle of six or more innings.
· Roche hit his sixth double of the season and 11th of his career.
Game two of the series is scheduled for Noon ET on Saturday with graduate RHP Chris Flynn (Naugatuck, Conn.) on the hill for BC. The game will be streamed on ACCNX.