Grambling State broke a tie with a four-run fifth and relied on its defense the rest of the way as TSU dropped a 10-4 decision Friday afternoon at MacGregor Park.
TSU’s Justin Cooper started the scoring with a solo homer to left in the first for the 1-0 lead. Grambling State would tie it in the second as a TSU fielding error allowed the runner to score.
Grambling State moved ahead 2-1 in the third on a sac fly followed by a two-RBI double to extend the lead to 4-1. TSU would fight back and tie it at 4-all in the bottom half as Tyrese Clayborne doubled home Jeremy Almaguer followed by Roderick Coffee’s sac fly and a GSU balk which paved the way for Jordan Vidato to score from third.
Grambling State broke the tie in the fifth with a pair of homers, the latter a three-run shot for an 8-4 lead. TSU struggled to get runners on from that point as they were held to one hit over the next five innings outside of four GSU walks, an error, and a hit batter. GSU added another run in the eighth as a TSU fielding error led to a 9-4 lead followed by a solo homer in the ninth.
The series concludes tomorrow with a 1 p.m. rubber match at MacGregor Park.
- W: Jacorey Boudreaux (5-0)
- L: Alex Olguin (0-1)
- 2B: John Garcia 1
- HR: Trevor Hatton 1; Keylon Mack 2
- RBI: Shemar Page 1; Trevor Hatton 1; John Garcia 2; Keylon Mack 4
- SF: Shemar Page 1
- RUNS: Terry Burrell III 1; Jarficur Parker 1; Trevor Hatton 2; John Garcia 1; Julian Murphy 1; Cameron Bufford 1; Keylon Mack 2; Daylon Ardoin 1
- SB: Daylon Ardoin 1
- HBP: Trevor Hatton 1; John Garcia 1
- 2B: Tyrese Clayborne 1
- HR: Justin Cooper 1
- RBI: Justin Cooper 1; Tyrese Clayborne 1; Roderick Coffee 1
- SF: Roderick Coffee 1
- RUNS: Justin Cooper 1; Jeremy Almaguer 1; Tyrese Clayborne 1; Jordan Vidato 1
- SB: Jeremy Almaguer 1; Tyrese Clayborne 1; Jordan Vidato 1
- CS: Johnathon Thomas 1
- HBP: Johnathon Thomas 1; Juan Sanchez 1