In a move that has sent shockwaves through the sporting world, Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. announced on Friday that he is officially ending his nine-year retirement. The undefeated legend (50–0), who turns 49 this Tuesday, is not just sticking to the exhibition circuit; he plans to return to sanctioned professional boxing this summer.
The announcement comes on the heels of his high-profile exhibition match against Mike Tyson, scheduled for April 25, 2026. According to Mayweather, these events are about more than just nostalgia—they are about continuing to dominate the “business of boxing.”
The Comeback Blueprint
Mayweather has signed an exclusive promotional agreement with CSI Sports/Fight Sports to facilitate this next chapter. The plan follows a two-step “Money” strategy:
- The Exhibition: Facing 59-year-old Mike Tyson in an 8-round exhibition. While recent reports from Ring Magazine suggest the bout could take place in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo—honoring the legacy of the “Rumble in the Jungle”—the location remains officially unconfirmed.
- The Pro Return: A sanctioned professional bout slated for Summer 2026. This will be Mayweather’s first “real” fight since his 10th-round TKO of Conor McGregor in August 2017.
“I still have what it takes to set more records in the sport of boxing,” Mayweather said in a press statement. “No one will generate a bigger gate, have a larger global broadcast audience, and generate more money with each event than my events.”
The $340 Million Legal Battle
While the return to the ring is capturing headlines, Mayweather’s “talk” has recently been focused on the courtroom. Earlier this month, he filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against Showtime Networks and former president Stephen Espinoza.
- The Claim: Mayweather alleges he is owed at least $340 million from his career fight purses, which reportedly totaled $1.2 billion.
- The Conflict: The suit suggests the network failed to protect him from the business practices of his longtime advisor, Al Haymon. This financial friction is cited by many insiders as a primary motivator for his return to the pro ranks.
The Tale of the Tape: The Legends’ Return
| Feature | Floyd Mayweather | Mike Tyson |
| Age | 48 (Turns 49 on Feb 24) | 59 |
| Pro Record | 50–0 (27 KOs) | 50–7 (44 KOs) |
| Last Pro Fight | 2017 (Win vs. McGregor) | 2003 (Loss vs. Etienne) |
| 2026 Status | Un-retiring for Summer Pro Bout | Exhibition Circuit Only |
Legacy at Risk?
By returning to professional status, Mayweather is putting his pristine 50–0 record on the line. With Manny Pacquiao (47) also recently un-retiring, rumors of a Mayweather vs. Pacquiao II sanctioned bout for late 2026 have already reached a fever pitch.
Critics argue that at nearly 50 years old, “Money” is playing a dangerous game with his health and legacy, but as the man himself often says: “All roads lead to Mayweather.”
Author Profile

- CEO NGSC Sports
Latest entries
BoxingFebruary 22, 2026“Money” Returns: Mayweather Ends Retirement for 2026 Pro Comeback
NBAFebruary 20, 2026Reality Check at MSG: Can the Knicks Contend After Being Swept by Detroit?
NBAFebruary 16, 2026The “Mini-Tournament” Experiment: Is the 2026 NBA All-Star Format Built to Last?
NCAABFebruary 14, 2026The Ralph Renaissance: How Shea Ralph Built a Powerhouse in Nashville
