HOUSTON – HBU dropped the series finale to visiting Lamar on Saturday afternoon at Husky Field with the Cardinals taking a 12-0 victory in Southland Conference play.
The Huskies (6-21, 4-12 SLC) were limited to just five hits in the loss with senior Matt Solomon and sophomore Matt Crossley connecting on doubles. Over the course of the game’s eight innings, HBU stranded nine runners on base.
Sophomore Javan Smitherman (0-2) took the loss for the Huskies in his first start of the season, allowing six runs with five of those earned on six hits in three innings.
The Cardinals (13-9, 5-7 SLC) had two players with three-hit games with Anthony Quirion going 3-for-5 with a home run and a double for three RBI and two runs scored while Chase Kemp was 3-for-4 with a home run, scoring twice and driving in one. Lamar finished the game with 16 hits.
Douglas Palmer (3-0) earned the win for the Cardinals, pitching two shutout innings in relief. Braxton Douthit scattered three hits across four scoreless innings as the starter.
The Huskies will play their final non-conference games of the season next weekend with a three-game series in Tulsa, Okla. against Oral Roberts from Apr. 9-11.
- W: Palmer, Douglas (3-0)
- L: Smitherman, Javan (0-2)
- 2B: Quirion, Anthony 1; MacNaughton, Ben 2; Altman, Daniel 1
- HR: Weyler, Kelby 1; Kemp, Chase 1; Quirion, Anthony 1
- RBI: Weyler, Kelby 3; Kemp, Chase 1; Quirion, Anthony 3; Durand, Reese 1; Altman, Daniel 1; Girouard, Cole 2; Snell, Ryan 1
- RUNS: Weyler, Kelby 1; Kemp, Chase 2; George, Avery 1; Quirion, Anthony 2; MacNaughton, Ben 3; Altman, Daniel 1; Girouard, Cole 1; Snell, Ryan 1
- SB: MacNaughton, Ben 1; Girouard, Cole 1
- CS: Girouard, Cole 1